Monday, January 28, 2008

A week of mostly calm and peace...

The week has come and gone, with at least one of our local instructors being called back off of standby... I was talking to our Area Manager and she says that it is her, in collaboration with branch Titled Instructors (they are still getting treated as Titled Instructors around here), who gets called back off of standby... When asking when that would happen, she explained that when branches got to within about 10 students of the 1:40 ratio, another teacher would get a call... For example, a branch of 160 students will have 4 instructors, but when they get to about 190, another instructor would get called in... This provides me with some hope as the 2 branches in this area have far less students than they should, and most likely will, have...

From the same conversation with the area manager, I also found out that contracts are not reliant on evaluations anymore, rather, they are based on a one paragraph email from the area manager which goes in to GComm head office... This email is read, and based on whether that email says the instructor is any good, the Vice President of G Education gets to review it, if it is then decided that it's OK, Ono the G Education president has to give the OK... One of our area instructors just had this process done, and it was decided that he was OK... I am sure that's a relief... The AM knew this guy though and that made it easier... If the AM doesn't know the teacher that will be tough... Any readers have a contract renewal recently? Anyone know of anyone that has?

I will post again soon and let everyone know how its going... In the meantime, share information, post a comment, and read others' comments... Let everyone know that they are not alone in this new endeavour...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got laid off when at my branch in Tanashi. Fuck them! I put in 8 years with them and stayed around during the fall giving all my support and they fuck me in the ass. I wasted my 30's there and have nothing to show for it except some good times with the ladies. Where am I gonna go now? Excuse me, I gotta go puke?

Big Man in Japan said...

Anon... I am sorry to hear about your plight... This makes me feel terrible... 8 years is the same amount of time I have been here, so I can understand how it would feel... Even though it must be tough, could I ask a question? How were you laid off? Were you on standby and told not to come in anymore? Have you just been put on standby?

Good luck in your job search and future choice of career... Hope all goes well...